Sunday, September 19, 2010

Moon Cake Festival

Its the Moon Cake Festival again!!! My friend's facebook status about eating mooncakes and playing "tang lung" - laterns are killing me!

The Moon festival (also called the Mooncake or Mid-Autumn festival) will  fall on September 22nd in the year 2010. What is the Moon festival? Every year on the fifteenth day of the eighth month of the lunar calendar, when the moon is at its maximum brightness for the entire year, the Chinese celebrate "zhong qiu jie.

This is the festival where you will see mooncakes and lanterns selling everywhere!! They come in so many varieties and shapes! They come in many flavors as well - but my ultimate flavor is the Lotus! yummy yum yum!! Its really delicious! Some mooncake may have one or more whole salted egg yolks in its centre to symbolise the full moon.

In case you don't know what a mooncake looks like, these are some pictures .. I'm drooling right now!


The traditional moon cake has red bean paste or lotus paste filing with the option of salted egg yolk stuffed inside.
                                

Aren't they the cutest looking thing?  Photos by @Sparklette

Jelly Mooncake!

They are sold in beautifully packed wooden boxes. Its the perfect gift for family and friends. It also symbolizes wealth and prosperity . They even have ice cream mooncakes!!

I just love this time of the month. The town/ city will be lighted especially in my hometown, Taiping where we will go the the Taiping Lake Gardens and carry our lighted tanglungs there. Its just breathtaking! I wish I'm back home.. :-( *sobs*

If anyone of you reading my blog knows where I can get mooncakes in Dubai, please please drop me a message. hehe. It will be awesome! 

Happy Mooncake Festival!!


No comments:

Post a Comment